What is Business Communications?
Why You Should Care about Business Communications?
People cannot live without communication. It is the same in companies. The most important thing for a company to be successful and dynamic is business communication. Because it enables the business communication management system to work actively from the largest unit to the smallest unit.
Business communication, the process of sharing information between individuals within a company and the units with which they communicate outside the company (such as customers, companies, retailers …), is necessary to carry out daily business processes and tasks. Every new action in the company requires business communication. For instance, the marketing department e-mailing the customer analysis to the R & D department, or the meeting of a retailer and the purchasing department enter into business communication.
Companies should care about business communication because if business communication cannot be established healthily and effectively, the company structure will deteriorate and the company cannot achieve the targeted corporate goal. Especially with Covid-19, the importance of this has been re-understood and business communication has become the focus. Companies that could not establish an effective business communication network experienced regression in their business, had difficulty completing their work, and some even went bankrupt. But companies with good business communication have easily adapted to the new order. They have increased their profit margins, achieved their corporate goals, and enabled them to better their position in the market and have a better competitive advantage.
The Importance of Professionalism in Business Communication
Professionalism is when people in any profession have the specific knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill their specific roles. It also defines a persona. Because Professionalism is subject to the code of behave and has a responsibility to be virtuous. In other words, professionalism requires a work ethic.
Professionalism is very important in business communication because it determines the quality of communication. It also enables better communication and adds value to people.
Contribution to the development of the person:
- Professionalism allows one to devote a separate area to business life. It allows looking at business communication from a different perspective. Also, it is being a professional provides awareness of work and duty. This brings with it a sense of merit, honesty, and responsibility.
- Professionalism is stable for people. It does not change from person to person. For example, call center workers communicate with many different people. Sometimes customers can be disrespectful or rude. Despite this, many employees try to keep their personal feelings under control at all times and to maintain communication calmly.
Contribution to business communication:
- Professionalism promotes respect among colleagues. It provides to increase of brand value. Thus, companies develop better and successful communication between business to business.
- Professionalism allows colleagues to solve any problem in a more collective way. It provides a calm and good understanding of the problem. In this way, teams can more easily create a collective consciousness , brainstorming and act a solution-oriented approach. In this way, the problem is better solved with less effort.
- Professionalism is a measure of brand value. In this way, you can establish better and quality communication with customers. You can avoid misunderstanding more easily. Also you can develop customer engagement and you can encourage to repurchase by customer.
- Professionalism increases the quality of workers in the company. This reflects increases in the productivity and efficiency of workers.
Building Strong Relationships through Effective Communication
- In order to establish healthy communication in the business, there should be no mobbing in the business environment. For this reason, a healthy and conducive environment is necessary for good business communication. In this way, people feel more comfortable. They feel that they are not being judged and they think care about themselves. Thus, they express themselves more comfortably, free, and well.
- Business communication is just no longer just face-to-face. Many people communicate on the internet. For this reason, the technical qualification of the person communicating and the technological tools should be suitable for communication (like the microphone should not be broken).
- It is necessary to master a certain business language. Every industry has its own terms. The person who will communicate should be familiar with all business terms and phrases. In this way, they can better understand the other party and establish business communication.
- A person should learn how to express herself or himself. If there is a certain level of language standard in the business environment, the new employee adapts to the conditions and learns to express herself or himself more professionally. At the same time, the person should understand the difference between verbal and written communication. It should communicate accordingly.
4 Tips for Better Communication in Business
Learn the Language of Your Target Audience
Professionalism is not just about uniformly expressing yourself with respectful and proper pronunciation. It is about how to express oneself according to the person. For example, let’s take a marketing manager. The business relationship between a CEO, a teammate, and a customer is different. For this reason, her or his business relationship is different and her or his pronunciation, attitude, and way of expressing herself or himself are also different.
Keep it Simple and Concise
The business world, in any kind of sector, is based on communication. Because what creates a company and produces products and services is teamwork. For this reason, it is important to have healthy business communication. When you talk about something, it becomes harder for people to understand if you explain it to people in a complex way. At the same time, you may miss something or be misunderstood about the subject you want to tell. This leads to unhealthy communication and teamwork. This affects the work you do. For this reason, if you want an effective business relationship, we should keep what they want to say simple and concise.
Avoid Being Passive-Aggressive in Emails
Voice and written communication are different. Written communication style is different and complicated. Because two different people can read the same text and perceive different things. One person may find the mail aggressive, while another may find it fine. It may not just be the style. Because companies have hierarchical structures and there are different business communication dynamics between superior-subordinate relationships. For this reason, it is a very important factor to whom and on what subject the mail is sent. The unchanging factors are that we must be clear, precise, and formal so that everyone can understand the same. In addition, it should be written in a certain style and manner.
Use Technology to Make Communication Easier and Faster
Today, face-to-face meetings are not the only way to establish business communication. No matter people where to located, they can communicate through many communication channels on the internet. Especially with Covid-19, this situation started to establish online business communication even among colleagues. Because many corporate companies have switched to home-office. For this reason, technological qualification was required to play an active role in business life. This qualification does not only mean having good technological tools. People can be how effectively use these tools and peoples technological knowledge must be good. Briefly, if you want good business communication, you need to be able to solve a technological problem easily and quickly and you should have technically qualified.
Business communication, the process of sharing information between individuals within a company and the units they communicate with outside the company, is necessary for the fulfillment of daily business processes and tasks. If we want a company that can solve problems quickly, be goal-oriented, and creates good teamwork, we must establish good business communication.
Good business communication requires a professional environment and people. Professionalism is when people in any occupation have the specific knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill their specific roles. However, it requires a work ethic.
A person should learn how to express herself or himself. If there is a certain level of language standard in the business environment, the new employee adapts to the conditions and learns to express herself or himself more professionally. At the same time, the person should understand the difference between verbal and written communication. It should communicate accordingly. You can also read our blog post about Work Collaboration in companies.